Skip to content
Discussion Meeting FAQs
- Where and when are meetings held?
- Our peer support meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, at 7:00 pm. Meetings may be in-person, virtual, or hybrid. If you’d like to attend our next meeting, please email us for the format and/or location.
- Who can attend the meetings?
- Meetings are open to parents, friends, family members, allies, and members of the 2S&LGBTQIA+ community. Everyone who attends our meetings must agree to uphold our confidentiality policy.
- Are the group facilitators therapists?
- No. The group facilitators are volunteers with lived experience as family members, friends, and allies of individuals in the 2S&LGBTQIA+ community.
- What happens at a peer discussion meeting?
- The Chapter Lead opens the meeting with the land acknowledgement, announcements, and a review of the confidentiality policy. Following that, we typically go around the room and introduce ourselves (first name, reason for coming) and then move into a discussion of any challenges or celebrations that members want to share
- Occasionally we will have a guest speaker attend with a talk about a topic of importance to the 2S&LGBTQIA+ community. The presentation typically happens at the start of the meeting, with the peer support discussion following.
- How often can I attend?
- Meetings are held monthly, and you are welcome to attend every month if you wish. Some come for one or two meetings when they’re initially processing the news of a family member or friend coming out, and others continue to come to meetings long term to help support others.
- Is there a fee to attend the meetings?
- No, meetings are always free to attend
- Do I need to talk during the meeting?
- You are under no obligation to talk; some first-time attendees prefer to sit and watch/listen the first time they join one of our meetings.
- If I can’t or don’t want to attend a meeting but want to talk to someone, can you help?
- Yes! Please feel free to call our toll-free number with questions, or for one-on-one support 1-888-530-6777 ext 600
Our confidentiality policy
Pflag is a safe space, and confidentiality is key to making our meetings supportive. By attending, you agree that you will not share, release, transmit, or in any other way divulge any confidential information that you acquire as an attendee at our meetings.